Wednesday, August 05, 2026

'LGBTQ candidates excel and win in Tuesday's primaries' & other Wed/Thur news briefs


“Ready for change”: LGBTQ+ & progressive candidates dominated Tuesday’s primaries​ - I am very cautious and pragmatic about this sort of thing. LGBTQ candidates did rather well, including:

 Joanna Whaley, a trans clinical chaplain who works in emergency rooms, intensive care units, and hospice, fended off two Democratic challengers in the state legislative primary in a blue district south of Detroit. She’ll likely be Michigan’s first-ever transgender state representative after a face-off against Republican Ron Kokinda in the November 3 general election.

Running for public office and winning provides much needed visibility and voices for our community. More of us should run for public office. 

Donald Trump’s 10 most humiliating presidential moments — among many - A stark reminder of why more LGBTQ people should run for public office. To combat jackasses like this fool and his attacks on our community. 

What’s missing from the renewed debate over trans athletes? The voices of trans people. - Generally speaking, in the debate about trans equality, the voices of trans people have been omitted and I think it's deliberate. Pundits and loudmouth idiots like Bill Maher and Joe Rogan rage against trans people but won't even invited them in the conversation. UNLESS it's a trans person willing to attack his or her own community. 

Buttigieg indicates he may run for president in 2028 - It would be nice but I don't think America is ready for a gay president. Of course, I have been wrong before. 

In Retrospect, Sophie Cunningham is Actually Okay with Shutting Up and Dribbling: ‘I Want to Get Back to Basketball’ - WNBA player becomes a hero to the right by attacking trans athletes, even though there are none in the WNBA and now wonders why she can't simply get back to playing basketball without talking about the culture war nonsense SHE helped to push.

No comments: