Thursday, June 16, 2011

Day 2 of Netroots Nation - Lovely chaos

When I stepped out of my hotel room. I had my outfit together and Bon Jovi's Wanted: Dead or Alive  blasting on my ipod as I walked confidently with my computer strapped to my side.

Ten minutes later, my forehead was covered with sweat as I stood wearily in the middle of a crowd while awaiting my registration.

I was in the midst of mad fun. Yesterday's lgbt conference was merely cocktail canape compared to today on until Sunday as Netroots Nation officially started. I mingled with all sorts of folks from the NEA, AFL-CIO, The It Gets Better Project, and the assorted progressive organizations and bloggers.

Best of all was the fact that I finally met Joe Sudbay of Americablog, a very early supporter of my blog.

And of course there were the awkward moments.

During a session on Don't Ask, Don't Tell and the Dream Act, I ran into MSNBC report Dave Weigel. Well not exactly ran into, but rather stared intently at while he sat six seats away from me (yes I counted) typing away.

But I did enjoy the panel discussion on DADT/the Dream Act. A lot of it was about how proponents of the two piece of legislation banded together against a not very receptive president and Congress.

As we all know, DADT was repealed and the Dream Act failed (for now). History will give the Obama Administration credit for the repeal of DADT but very few know the hard work it took to get the president and the Democrats to even push this through a lame duck Congress.

If history was truly correct, the activists behind the scenes with their protests, tears, and hopes would get as much credit  in getting good legislation passed as the lawmakers voting on the issue.

That being said, the cynic in me would hope that folks be careful in terms of how they rip Obama. I love Obama as president, but sometimes I think that some on our side are afraid to sometimes think of him as a means to an end. As president, unfortunately, that is exactly what he is.

I would sincerely hope that folks did not think that things would automatically get better when Obama was elected or that he would do the right thing. Neither idea is realistic.

Getting someone in office who will look kindly on our issues is only a smidgen of the work. When that person is in office, it's up to us to light a fire under his ass to get him to do what he is supposed to do.

The key is keeping that fire from burning him or us.



Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

Jay said...

Very astute comments. Like you, I adore President Obama even as he disappoints me for what I see as timidity. He is certainly a man of great charisma and intelligence--and so refreshing after George W--yet I did expect far more from his first two years with large Congressional majorities. Unfortunately, both he and his Party lacked the courage and savvy to get a lot done. Still, he is head-and-shoulders above any alternative we are likely to have.

PJB863 said...

Alvin - enjoy it! You've worked so hard to get where you are and you are amongst your equals now.

Joe Sudbay (DC) said...

Thanks for those kind words, Alvin. So great to finally meet in person.