|The future of LGBTQ rights if South Dakota lawmakers have their way.|
It’s No Exaggeration: Sweeping South Dakota Bill Aims to Eliminate LGBTQ Rights - Hands down, the most dangerous anti-LGBTQ bill I have ever seen:
The state may not enforce, endorse, or favor policies that:
(1) Permit any form of marriage that does not involve a man and a woman;
(2) Appropriate benefits to persons who enter a marriage other than a marriage involving a man and a woman;
(3) Permit counties to issue marriage licenses to persons other than for a marriage involving a man and a woman;
(4) Treat sexual orientation as a suspect class or as a basis of prohibited discrimination;
(5) Recognize a person’s belief that that person was born a gender that does not accord with the biological sex of the person as determined by that person’s anatomy at birth;
(6) Appropriate tax dollars to pay for sex change operations;
(7) Ban conversion therapy. Under this subdivision, conversion therapy, means a therapeutic practice in which a licensed medical professional, acting under authorized consent, assists a client in the goal or realigning the client’s sexual preference to prefer members of the opposite sex who have corresponding reproductive anatomy;
(8) Permit public libraries or public schools in the state to partner with nonsecular organizations to promote, host, sponsor, favor, or endorse drag queen storytime;
(9) Mandate pronoun changes;
(10) Condone or affirm homosexual, transgender, zoophilia, objectophilia, polygamy, or sexual orientation doctrines; and
(11) Permit a person to change the sex on a birth certificate to a sex that does not accord with that person’s anatomy at birth.This bill is plain evil. It doesn't hide its animus against the LGBTQ community under some ridiculous guise of "religious freedom." To put it simply, the bill is saying, "we don't like the LGBTQ community and we don't think they deserve any rights because we don't consider them normal. We don't care about them. We don't care about their families. We just don't want them around us and we will create laws which will target them so they get the message"
And even if it is defeated, I hear there will be other attempts to pass similar bills in other states. Our solution is to hold the bill and the evil behind it up the light. Talk about it, repeat it constantly. Giving the world knowledge about this bill can destroy it and the evil mindset of those pushing it. The fight against it has already started with the South Dakota chapter of the ACLU.
Iowa Republicans give up on removing transgender people from state’s civil rights protections - A moment of sanity as lawmakers saw the "unintended consequences" of this particular bill
Ruth Ellis Center building 43 units of supportive housing for LGBTQ young adults - Outstanding news from Detroit!
Mike Pompeo Snubs Ukraine’s Embattled LGBTQ Community - Of course that jerk did.