|Tony Perkins of FRC|
Majority Leader Harry Reid announced Monday that he will be bringing legislation banning anti-LGBT employment discrimination to the floor for consideration before Thanksgiving. The Employment Non-Discrimination Act, which would ban most employers from discriminating on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity in employment, was passed out of the Senate’s Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee with bipartisan support earlier this year. Reid, in announcing the plans for this work session, said the Senate would be considering the legislation.
Part of me cringes because I know that this means we will be hearing all sorts of things about "Christians being persecuted" for not serving gays and "Christian nursery schools being forced to hire crossdressers."
In other words, anti-gay groups are going to go nuclear, as they always do when ENDA comes up, with the horror stories of gays wanting to jail "Christians" and transgender men and women supposedly wanting to corrupt children.
But another part of me says "bring it on" because I've got a litany of stuff I can pull from past religious right actions against ENDA legislation, such as what I am about to present today by revisiting the seven times the Family Research Council have distorted ENDA:
1. Family Research Council deliberately misinterpret words of Obama official to discredit ENDA - The Family Research Council deliberately distorts the words of John Berry is President Obama's director of the U.S. Office of Personnel Management to claim that the passage of ENDA will lead to an overturning of DOMA.
2. Family Research Council head misrepresents credible information to hurt ENDA - In testimony against ENDA, FRC head Tony Perkins uses anecdotes and distorts a study on lgbt health.
3. Family Research Council exploiting Amanda Simpson's appointment to stop ENDA - The Family Research Council exploits the presidential appointment of transgender Amanda Simpson to call ENDA a "Crossdresser Protection Bill."
4. Family Research Council getting extremely 'scary' about ENDA - FRC channels the image of the Grim Reaper to assist in its lies about ENDA.
5. Religious right groups can't make up their minds when lying about ENDA - FRC falsely calls ENDA the Discrimination Against Christian Workers Act and uses one-sided anecdotes of people fired supposedly for their Christian beliefs.
6. FRC: Gays and lesbians shouldn't be employed in 'some' jobs - When FRC says "ENDA would mandate the employment of homosexuals in inappropriate occupations," are they implying the homosexuality = pedophilia lie?
7. Family Research Council gearing up to fight ENDA with distortions - blah, blah, blah, the "crossdressers" and liberals are trying to silence Christians.