Tuesday, September 06, 2011

The dumbest comment Maggie Gallagher ever uttered

Maggie Gallagher
How do you brighten up a boring debate? Apparently Maggie Gallagher of NOM thinks that a comment about terrorists killing South Carolina government officials will do the trick.

I know that there was a Republican debate in South Carolina yesterday. And I also know that the National Organization for Marriage had a hand in putting it on.

I was trying to avoid it. After all, why ruin a good holiday.

From what I understand, in spite of all of the hype, it was the run-of-the-mill debate. Although, NOM claims that "the issues of marriage took centerstage," that's really not true.

But what caught my attention was a comment published by Maggie Gallagher on NOM's blog. I think it gives an indication why she has settled herself into the background of the organization:

The debate will go live in 5 minutes. The panelists just walked in. Sen. DeMint is introducing the honoraries in the audience (like the NH Speaker of the House).

The South Carolina delegation is particularly impressive. Let me put it this way: if the terrorist attack the convention center right now, it looks like the South Carolina government would be decimated!

Geez, Maggie. Way to go with the dumb comments.

My guess is that she meant to highlight Sen. Jim DeMint supposed political power in South Carolina. What she accomplished, however, was giving folks another reason to wonder about her callousness.

I guess when you push the "oh please pity us because we are being targeted" card so long, it's hard to stop even when such a thing is unnecessary.




Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Jon said...

Even with your explanation, her comments make absolutely no sense to me at all.

ColdCountry said...

I know there is a push to make the modern usage of 'decimated' acceptable, but to me, it still means what it always meant - 1 in 10. Which makes her comment even dumber.