Monday, December 17, 2012

Religious right reaction to Newtown tragedy has been APPALLING!

In my last post, I defended Christianity in light of a Texas pastor who voiced support of the Ugandan anti-gay bill. The jackasses in these news briefs are making THAT job more difficult:

Religious Right Reacts to Sandy Hook Shooting by Blaming Lack of Government-Dictated School Prayer 

 James Dobson Blames Marriage Equality And Abortion For Newtown Shooting

 Mike Huckabee Explains Bizarre Claim That God's Absence From Sandy Hook Led To Massacre

 Operation Save America Calls Sandy Hook Interfaith Memorial Service an 'Affront to Almighty God'

And the disgusting finale? The following tweet was sent last night by the Liberty Counsel's Matt Barber:



It was a 180 degree turn for Barber who issued a beautiful prayer for the victims of the shooting earlier this weekend.

This shooting has been a colossal tragedy for the country and it is a warning sign to folks who practice true Christianity.

You are losing support because of people like these. If you are going to blame "demonic forces" for people getting turned off of Christianity, you had best check the next Values Voters rally, take a deep sniff, and hope that the overwhelming smell of sulfur don't make you sick.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a real tragedy and scary to me. We just went through Newtown weekend before this to go to Danbury.

And one of our party while in Newtown remarked that it looked like Deliverance country. It did too!

But I'd never have expected something like this to happen. One thing I do note about mass killings - they seem to happen more in the deep suburbs than in the cities.

I have a feeling a lot of that is due to lack of opportunity to express oneself, to escape the clutches of religious idiocy, and to have available entertainment options.

Makes me glad I grew up as a city boy.

Anonymous said...

I would say that if you're blaming the Newton shooting on "demonic forces" then you're probably not a "true Christian."

Gregory Peterson said...

Reminds me of this.

SSDD: If the evangelical mainstream wants me to view the religious right as marginal, then they should do more to marginalize the religious right

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2012/12/14/ssdd-if-the-evangelical-mainstream-wants-me-to-view-the-religious-right-as-marginal-then-they-should-do-more-to-marginalize-the-religious-right/

Anonymous said...

I would not state a massacer is likely to occur because of nothing else to do, that would suggest that people have a standard desire to kill one another. I grew up in "deliverance country" as you so eloquently put it, snd there was only one person who died in my school. That was due to an icey road in the middle of winter. I would suggest the only reason for murder is a deeply rooted emotional issue. For example a violent sociopath or say a soldier trained to kill suffering with ptsd and not being properly looked after. Blaming not enough entertainment is insane. Truly insane.