Thursday, December 06, 2018

'Holy Bullies and Headless Monsters' chosen for inclusion in The Advocate 'Best of 2018'


When I began this blog in 2006, I simply wanted to call attention to how the anti-LGBTQ industry was harming the LGBTQ community with their usage of lies, junk science, and cherry-picked science.

I never thought that it would receive a great amount of success and attention both nationally and internationally. I never thought that it would even reach one million hits, to say nothing of over six million. I never thought it would receive a GLAAD Media Award out of three nominations.

And I certainly never expected this honor:


Holy Bullies and Headless Monsters was chosen for inclusion
 in 'Best of 2018' issue of The Advocate.




I feel blessed whenever all of the hard work put into this blog is recognized. I feel equally blessed because of all of the support I've received over the years from all of you. For that, I say THANK YOU.

This blog is a work created out of anger, frustration, righteous indignation, and lots of tears. Its origins are from many locales, including my childhood, the loneliness of my dorm room and fraternity house at Winthrop University, and especially the Harriet Hancock Community Center here in Columbia, SC

But the work continues. It always does.

 It's my hope that every honor and accolade gives this blog and its focus much needed attention. There is a war going on against LGBTQ equality and it has been for several decades now. Via a facade of religion, evangelical right-wing organizations and personalities have pitted the LGBTQ community and heterosexual people of all faiths against one another by exploiting the Bible, egos, stereotypes, fears, and prejudices.

While claiming to be the preservers of faith, groups like the Family Research Council, the Alliance Defending Freedom, the Heritage Foundation, the American Family Association, etc have freely pushed propaganda making it seem that the LGBTQ community is evil and unhealthy, that we aren't deserving of equality, that we constantly plot to destroy religion, and recruit children.

And it is a lie which needs to be addressed, called out, and picked apart for the nonsense that it is. That's what this blog has done for over 12 years. And that is what this blog will continue to do.

To the right are several of my best posts (The Best of Holy Bullies and Headless Monsters Parts1 and 2) over the years detailing and refuting anti-LGBTQ propaganda. They are a cornucopia of information about anti-LGBTQ hate groups, religious right organizations, and their homophobic propaganda.

In addition, check out 'How They See Us: Unmasking the Religious Right War on Gay America.'  It's a free online booklet I published in 2013.


The 'Best of 2018' issue of The Advocate should be out already.  Buy a copy and check out The Advocate online.



1 comment:

Scott Amundsen said...

WTG Alvin, you rock! I know that you put blood, sweat, and tears into every keystroke. You're an inspiration to everyone who reads your blog.