Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Video - Gay Marriage and Parenting on 'Oprah' (1989)

 
So on Wednesday during an impasse of what to blog about, I found this footage of an Oprah Winfrey Show from 1989. It talks about gay marriage and parenting; two subjects that a lot of us take for granted now. Folks need to watch this video and marvel over a time in which certain realities were regarded as unreachable and certain ugly opinions (including a particularly mean one expressed at 19:34) were verbally commonplace instead of covert and hidden under a veneer of victimhood.

This clip, featuring then couple former Mr. Universe Bob Paris and partner Rod Jackson, attorney Gloria Allred (an ally though she does take up a lot of talking time), and conservative pundit Mona Charen is an eye-opener. We have certainly come a long way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I first saw Bob & Rod on Phil Donahue's show around this same time. I was a little gay boy and LOVED that they were brave and out and unapologetic! I was sad to read years later that they broke up because one of them prayed away the gay. Even though, I still thank them for making me feel better as a young gay teen.