Sunday, September 26, 2021

Liz Cheney denounces her past opposition to gay marriage

Rep. Liz Cheney

Let me be clear about something.

 I am not a fan of Rep. Liz Cheney. I don't like her general positions, her past attacks on Obama nor am I posting this to somehow forget that she opposes gun control, a woman's right to chose an abortion, Obamacare, or other positions I favor. But I will give her props on what she said during a recent 60 Minutes interview with regards to her past opposition to marriage equality. No jumping through hoops. No long-winded explanation. Her statement was refreshingly simple.

The daughter of former Vice President Dick Cheney was an ascendant Republican leader before the Jan. 6 riot, yet she is increasingly defined by her public opposition to Trump and his hold on the GOP. Cheney, 55, noted that she still talks with her father every night and that they share the same views on rejecting Trump.  
 Liz Cheney famously broke with her family in 2013 by opposing gay marriage ahead of a failed Senate bid. Her objections caused a rift with her sister, Mary, a married lesbian. Mary’s spouse, Heather Poe, posted on Facebook that year that Cheney’s position was offensive and that I always thought freedom meant freedom for EVERYONE. 

 In the interview, Cheney said her opposition to gay marriage was misguided and she channeled her sister-in-law’s Facebook post in explaining why she changed her position. I was wrong. I was wrong,” she said. Its a very personal issue and very personal for my family. I believe that my dad was right. And my sister and I have had that conversation … Freedom means freedom for everybody.

On that one thing, I don't mind saying that I agree with her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now that she is politically impotent (she'll will not be re-elected next year) and it doesn't matter anyways. Remember she just voted against the Equality Act in April of this year.